BARRICK GOLD AUSTRALIA
Barrick Australia (Part of Barrick Gold – World’s largest Gold producer). In 2007, Barrick Australia had an operation of over 10 mines spread across Western Australia, Queensland, NSW and PNG.
In 2007, Barrick Gold embarked on a global project to implement a standard reporting system (developed in Canada) to enable all site operations, regional head offices and the corporate head office to have better visibility of production and financial measures. Far Data Solutions were engaged to Project Manage the implementation of the reporting solution for the Barrick Australia Pacific Region.
There were a number of challenges faced with the project, namely:
- The number of sites – 10 mine sites spread across WA, NSW, QLD and PNG
- The number of stakeholders (GM’s, Line Management and Operational) that needed to be involved in the project, and ultimately, the end users that needed to be trained – over 100
- The number of varied source systems on sites
- The varied measures being reported on sites – the challenge being the alignment to corporate standards
- The selection and engagement of a company to provide the analysis and development of extracts
- The short time frame – 8 months from engagement to Project Closure
- The number of business projects competing for resources at all sites
- Greatly reduce the delivery time and effort to distribute cost information
The key to the successful outcome was to ensure that our Project Manager worked closely with the Executive Sponsor of the Project and all senior Stakeholders. The approach Far Data Solutions take on all projects is to follow the basic Project Management:
- Project Initiation – Our Project Manager ensured that the project got off on the correct path, by working with the Project Sponsor and the Executive Team in developing the Project Charter. By each Team member signing off that they would provide the required support throughout the project resulted in the successful outcome.
- Project Planning – Other than the usual Project Management tasks, such as defining and managing the Project Finances, Project Plan and Project Schedule, the key focus at this stage was conducting a comprehensive Risk Assessment with all the sites, and ensuring that the mitigation actions were documented, agreed too and planned for all high risks. As expected, the high risk items were around Change Management, Training and the ever present issue of ‘competing projects’. The other key focus at this stage was managing the tender process for the analysis and development of the extracts required for the reporting system.
- Project Execution – Having invested the time in the Project Planning phase and the Risk Assessment, the execution phase was managing and aligning tasks to the agreed project schedule. Our Project Manager ensured that emphasis was placed on managing risks and issues throughout the phase, and communicating to business the status of the project, risks and issues. Enforcing the business to plan and undertake a comprehensive User Acceptance Testing process, contributed to the successful implementation of the reporting system.
- Project Closure – The Post Implementation Review, which is a task often omitted, highlighted that all the project objectives had been met and the Executive Team signed off to commence Phase II of the overall project.
The project outcomes were successfully achieved by working closely with the business and the external partners.
- The reporting solution was successfully implemented at all the in-scope sites, on time and to budget
- Solid platform provided to system owner to implement future initiatives in Phase II
- Over 60 operational users and 50 Management users attended on-site training sessions following the ‘Train – the Trainer’ concept
- Updated Job descriptions for system supervisory, managerial and end user roles
What our Client thought
“…on the effectiveness and quiet success of the project — it has been extremely well managed from inception and a model that should be hailed as best practice..”
Nick Cernotta – Director of Operations Western Region Barrick Australia
We are here to help
Does your organisation manage projects effectively? There are a number of reasons why business projects fail, but ultimately, it is due to a lack of Project
Do you need detailed documentation in relation to the current business systems?
Project Management is much more than just controlling budgets and resources to meet project milestones.
Far Data Solutions can provide Project Managers who have a proven record in managing projects of all size and complexity.