Argyle Diamond Mine is one of the world’s largest suppliers of diamonds, producing approximately 20 million carats each year from its operations in Western Australia.
Prior to the implementation of SAP, Argyle Diamond Mine wanted to identify the business systems that would be required during and post the implementation of SAP. With this information the decommissioning strategy and on-going support requirements of remaining systems could be developed.
Far Data Solutions were engaged to provide Business Analysis and Project Management services to:
- Conduct and document a business systems audit
- Document the data flow and inter-dependencies between the business systems
- Determine the risks associated with the legacy business systems into the future and develop mitigation strategies with assistance from the Business.
Over a three (3) month period, Far Data Solutions provided consulting services to manage the project and conduct interviews with over 20 application owners and all internal and external stakeholders. Over 100 business systems were identified across 7 functional areas in Perth and the Mine Operation. Risk Assessment workshops were conducted in Perth and the Mine Site, with attendance from all levels of the organisation and internal and external service providers.
The outcome of the Argyle Diamond Mine Business Systems Audit was:
- A substantial saving in time and effort during the migration to SAP
- The project was delivered on time and on budget
- The development of a comprehensive Business Systems Register that fed into the Rio Tinto Global Business Systems Register. This realised a substantial saving by rationalising systems
- A complete data flow map, developed in Microsoft Visio, which identified for each business system, the business owners, technical support providers, data transfers content, execution times, application software, database and hardware information
- A comprehensive Risk Assessment Register providing mitigation strategies for identified high risks
- A plan to decommission redundant systems, thereby reducing the support costs to the business
We are here to help
Do you know the data flows between your current business systems and how they can impact your business if one system goes down?
Do you need detailed documentation in relation to the current business systems?
Far Data Solutions can provide Business Analysts who are experienced in analysing and documenting the business processes, systems and their data flows in an easy to understand format.
Far Data Solutions can provide Business Analysts who are experienced in compiling all aspects of the business system information in one central document thereby reducing duplication, support costs and time to respond to issues